Coquitlam looks to fast-track non-market housing

In 2023, Coquitlam announced plans for non-market seniors housing in both Maillardville and Burquitlam.
With both projects tentatively set to be finished in 2027, the question for the city is how to get more of that housing, faster.
“Expediting some of our non-market and below-market housing components are going to be important,” said Coun. Matt Djonlic on Monday.
Local news that matters to you
No one covers the Tri-Cities like we do. But we need your help to keep our community journalism sustainable.
Coquitlam previously received $25 million from the federal government to streamline development processes through eight initiatives including improved partnerships with non-profits.
Ideally, those improved partnerships will mean more non-market housing in the city. However, the city’s ability to get non-market housing built will “primarily depend” on funding and land contributions from senior levels of government, according to a city staff report.
To make Coquitlam competitive with other municipalities vying for that government funding, the city will have to ensure both costs and delays are minimized for non-profits.
Previously, applicants have had to resubmit their applications due to missing information or failure to respond to staff comments.
Organizations proposing non-market housing pay $113 for an enquiry meeting with city staff and $1,404 for a pre-application.
The city is considering waiving some of those fees, offering priority process and assigning staff with specific knowledge of non-market housing to deal with those applications.
The city could also mandate fewer parking spots and allow more retaining walls to reduce excavation costs, the report stated.
Putting rental and non-market rental in the same building can be a problem in terms of qualifying for funding, noted Coun. Dennis Marsden.
However, Marsden suggested a developer could build standalone not-for-profit housing on a contract basis.
“If we can figure out ways to make that happen and see more of that, I think it’s a win,” he said.
